Cardiac Rehab and Met Levels- OT Miri
Cardiac Rehab & Met Levels Flascard – OT Miri
= (Metabolic Equivalent) Amount of Energy it cost to complete a task as indicated by the amount of oxygen it requires.
1 MET= laying in bed waking up
2.5 METs= to get dressed
Phase 1 – ACUTE inpatient/ hospitilization
Pt. at this level is tired and weak.
- Vital Signs (monitor at all times)
- Patient and Family education
- Energy conservation
- Work simplification
- Cardiac post surgery precautions (sternal precautions)
- Guidelines to appropriate activity level
- Improve Self Care activities (ADLS)
- Activities at MET level 1-2
- Bed and WC mobility
- Bath, grooming and feeding while sittin
- MET levels 2-3
- Seated showers, dressing,
- Discharge patient at MET level 3.5.
Phase 2 – Outpatient Rehab/Convalescent home (3.5+METS)
This is after you leave the hospital.
4-5 METS to improve
Now you can use a standard shower, walk up the stairs, mopping, gardening, riding a bike, use a normal toilet.
- OTs ROLE
- Build up activity tolerance
- Avoid any isometric straining because this involves increase oxygen demand
- Improve IADLs
- Graded exercise program
- Improve abilities in occupational roles and work activities
Phase 3 – Maintenance phase
Not covered by Medicare.
Less intense, monitored exercise program.
1st at rest
- Sitting playing cards
- Sitting on the computer
- Seated sponge bath (Heat makes the heart work harder, Cold water chills the patient and requires more energy ONLY WARM SHOWERS)
- Raising the arm is more intense then LE movements, so avoid over head movements for longer periods of time until pt. Progresses.
- Light wood working
- Washing dishes
- Play instruments like guitar
- Standing to take a shower (STILL WARM NOT HOT OR COLD)
- Make the bed
- HOT STANDING SHOWER NOW
- Golf, carrying your own clubs
- Table tennis
- Light carpentry
- Can have sex at this level
- Make your own bed, change linens
1-6 mets think of this story.
You have to know how to get dressed and undressed (2-3) then you have to learn how to make your own bed (3-4) then you change your linens to something sex (4-5) and now you can put those linens to good use! To have sex (5-6)
- Walking briskly POWER WALKER
- Ski or basketball?